Employment for International Students


For information about on-campus employment contact or visit the Office of International Programs.


An F-1 student may apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) only when securing an on-campus job.
The student must also:

  • Be enrolled in a full-time course load.
  • Receive a genuine offer of employment, in writing, and present that offer letter to the OIP.
  • The offer letter must contain a start date of employment, position held, hours to be worked.
  • Have no financial encumbrances on their student account.
  • Must be in good academic standing, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  • Must be intent on taking the on-campus job.
  • Be expected to maintain the on-campus job for at least one full academic semester.
  • Must be in F1 status.

Upon receipt of an on-campus job offer, schedule an appointment with the OIP.

  • Bring the employment offer letter with you to the appointment.
  • The Director will consult with the department that is hiring you.
  • A letter from the Director to the Social Security Office will be written for you within 5 working days of you starting your job.
  • Important:¬† Departments will contact the OIP if they write an offer letter and the student does not show up for employment. This may result in the rescinding of your letter for the Social Security Office.
  • Upon receipt of the letter from the Director, take this to the local Social Security Office on Main Street in Oneonta.¬† You will also need to present the following to the Social Security Office:
    • Student ID
    • Current I-20 and any past I-20s you hold
    • Valid Passport and F-1 Visa
    • Copy of your full-time course schedule
    • Original offer letter of employment
  • The Social Security Office will mail you the SSN card within 3-6 weeks to your local address.